A Little Truth


I’ve been reviewing portraits. Since my newest portfolio is portrait-based, I have a lot of choices to make. What stays in? What goes out? Which picture is a hero picture? Which images support it? Lot’s of thinking to do. A lot of instinct too. But, it doesn’t stop there. There is a lot of data to study in an effort to further identify my intended market.

What does this all mean? It’s yet another version of the old 80-20 Rule. Usually, in business that means 20% of the people do 80% of the work. But, there are other applications. Many other applications. For instance, in most working photographers cases, it means that you spend 20% of the time doing that you really love — making pictures. The other 80% of time is spent doing other stuff. Accounting. Marketing, Writing blog posts. Meetings. Testing.  More Marketing. You get it. Very little in the way of actually making a picture.

So. Over the past few days, I’ve been working on portraits. Not photographing them. Editing them. So I can get more work and make more pictures. It’s a circle. It never ends. For those who have followed me for a little while, forgive me on this one. You probably seen it twice — in color and reworked in black and white. But, the picture is part of the editing process. And, some of the newer folks haven’t seen it yet.

1 Comment

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.